N. Alderson, Funeral Director Ltd

Established 1921


Tel: 0191 373 1828       Email: enquiries@alderson-funerals.co.uk

Square Square Square Notices & Donations

Coroner Involvement










Usually the GP or hospital doctor will refer the case to the Coroner. Occasionally it is the registrar who will refer the case to the Coroner if they are not satisfied with the cause of death.


Once reported, the Coroner's Officer or a police officer will usually take a statement from the next of kin or close relative and you may need to identify the deceased. The facts will then be presented to the Coroner who will decide if a post mortem needs to be carried out.


Depending on whether you are having your loved one buried or cremated will determine which documents are issued. We will liaise with the Coroner's Officer and keep you informed but normally the forms that we require for the funeral to take place will be issued by the coroner and delivered either to the crematorium or obtained from the Registrar.


Regardless of choosing burial or cremation, you will need to register the death at some stage to obtain copies of the death certificate.


If an inquest is to take place, you cannot register the death until the full inquest is over, but you can obtain an interim certificate from the Coroner to sort out financial matters.

  • When the deceased was not attended by a doctor during the last illness or the doctor had not seen them within 14 days before death

  • If the death was violent, unnatural or occurred under suspicious circumstances

  • If the cause of death is unknown or uncertain

  • If the death occurred while the patient was undergoing an operation or did not recover from an anaesthetic

  • If the death was caused by an industrial disease

  • If the death occurred in prison or police custody

Tel: 0191 373 1828       Email: enquiries@alderson-funerals.co.uk

There are certain situations where the coroner needs to be informed. These include:

site by Be BIg Online